Reading Ivan Doig...

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Fri Dec 15 03:13:42 UTC 2000

....again. I'd forgotten Winter Brothers, which I read years ago, and liked
(I'm a great fan of Ivan Doig's non-fiction, particularly his two memoirs of
growing up in Montana; his fiction isn't as interesting, I don't think), but
I found a copy in a second-hand book store in Sechelt last week and bought
it. I'd forgotten how much of James Swan's diaries he includes in the book
and reading Winter Brothers again, I'm interested to see how naturally Swan
uses Chinook terms in his daily writing. Has anyone else read this book?

Theresa Kishkan
RR1 Site 20 C11
Madeira Park, B.C.
V0N 2H0
(604)883-2377
Red Laredo Boots (1996); Sisters of Grass (2000)

"What secrets do the hills contain in their suede hollows, what mysteries
are lifted from the stones in the unbearable stillness of morning?"