Salmon in the Nicola River

Pass/Kishkan/High Ground Press high_ground at SUNSHINE.NET
Tue Feb 1 02:26:27 UTC 2000

>Comments: I'm not sure about the lack of salmon, although obviously the
>Encyc's authors got that from some local anthropologist/traditional
>historian.

Mike,

I'm not sure what is considered to be the Upper Nicola but when I was
walking along the river right behind the upper Nicola townsite in
mid-September, there were salmon making their way upstream, towards Nicola
Lake. I think they were probably sockeye although the colouring was more
burgundy than red and they were the size (and colour) of the coho in our
local Haskins Creek. I did mean to find out about that run but forgot...

Theresa Kishkan