Kiksht

Dell Hymes dhh4d at VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Feb 1 03:38:47 UTC 2000

	 Tony has given the earliest use of the term, I believe. The
question is when did 'kiksht' come to be used in linguistic and other
circles for the languages previously (and still) referred to as Wishram,
Wasco and Clackamas?

	I think Michael Silverstein first used 'Kiksht' in professional
literature with the effect of making it current. I haven't checked dates,
but probably in the 1960s. I used it in the title of a linguistic article
somewhere in that period.  Of course the term itself had been there all
along, as Tony points out.

	It would be interesting to know the 1940 citation.

	When you say 'one of the upper Chinookan languages', I take it you
include Kathlamet as the other.  For some time, I have come to the
conclusion that Kathlamet is a distinct, third Chinookan language.  Partly
this is based on the expeience many years ago of writing a grammar and
lexicon (Indiana dissertation, 1955).  And of some probing with still
living speakers of Wasco as to Kathlamet lexicon. The impression gained was
that it would not have been mutually intelligible.

	I suspect that Boas set 'Chinook' and 'Clatsop' apart because of
the salient phonological changes, and of course a good deal of distinct
grammar and lexicon. That they seemd so different that it seemed reasonable
to group the rest together. But Clackamas, Wasco Wishram have phonological
and grammatical developments and lexical items that Kathlamet does not have.

				Dell Hymes