"Spuzzum" by Laforet & York: An excerpt

janilta janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP
Sat Feb 5 06:27:00 UTC 2000

David, Mike,

Just a few thoughts about the French expressions in your msg.
For 'holaporte', I can only figure a situation when someone leaves a
place without shutting the door and the remaining party would yell 'ho !
la porte !' (the door, darn !) or something. 'a la porte' can bear the
idea of 'get out !' and thus 'be fired'. Cannot figure something else.
Both 'au la bord' and 'au d'abord' don't exist. I can just think of
'(tous) a bord !' matching the English '(all) aboard !'. 'You first'
would be 'toi/vous d'abord'.
'Pail' in French is 'le seau'. Maybe it is here a mistake for 'le pot'
ie pot, jar, jug (the sounds are close to 'lapot'... if we just consider
the mute 't' and the le/la confusion not impossible).
'Washem' is a common expression in many pidgins to mean 'to wash'.

Regards, Yann.