Muckamuck haws yaka tikki iktas kapa mitlite kulligan - Kitchen needs that stay at the walls (appliances and fixtures.)

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Feb 10 03:21:26 UTC 2000

Nadja Adolf wrote:

> 1) Piah la caset yaka munk muckamuck (firebox him make food - oven)

I've never been sure if lapellah is supposed to be a noun or a verb,
although the source French word (?) appears to be a noun.  Maybe simply
lapellah lacasset - roasting box.

> 2) Piah laplage kapa moxt piah ewhap - hyiu ewhap elip Lush (Cooktop with
> two burners - more is better)

I think a stovetop might better be "piah latab".  Not familiar with
"ewhap" or don't recognize it by that spelling; is it proper Chinook or
part of the GR vocabulary?.  "More is better" - "elip kloshe"; or "hyas
elip kloshe", I think.

> 3) Cole la caset delate Lush, pos wake cole la caset maika klatawa hyiu kapa
> makook haws. (A refrigerator is best, if no refrigerator you have to go to
> the store a lot.)

Cole lacaset works for a 'fridge for me.  I think "poos iskum wake cole
la caset" might be necessary in the second sentence

> 4) Hyas laplage kapa munk muckamuck. (A big counter.)

Hyas latab (kapa munk muckamuck) - a big table (to make food on)....

> 5) Ketling kapa iskum chuck. (A sink.)

Why not tamolitsh?

I like your efforts to come up with domestic new-words; keep it up.
Hope ya don't mind the kibbitzing.....