la chauffe

janilta janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP
Sat Feb 12 05:15:26 UTC 2000

Hello, Mike,

'La chauffe'... Mmm...
Yes, maybe it is also a canadianism. I don't know this one.
But you are right, 'la chauffe' does sound natural in French, even for
an oven thing... So why not.
And there is both 'la poele' (frying pan) and 'le poele' (stove).
I don't know if they are related to 'lapellah'...
According to my friend in Quebec, the best Canadian French dictionary is
this one (amazon reference) :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0844214868/o/qid=948662546/sr=2-1/002
Shall ask him too about la chauffe...
Oh, btw, l'ascenseur is 'lift, elevator', and we call in French
escalator... as it is called in English (even if you can find it written
as 'escalier mecanique' sometimes).
In fact I think the big issue, as you put, is whether to expand the
vocabulary with new borrowings or with new clusters using the existing
words... Puzzling...

Regards, Yann.