"A Warm Wind and a Bad Headache": _NYT_ 2/8/00

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Sun Feb 13 16:22:17 UTC 2000

If you look up "Wind" in Gibbs, he gives a little blurb about the winds being
most often referred to by the direction that they come from in Chinook
Jargon.  I am wondering  if this normally changed as the speaker moved
around.  For instance Gibbs says that, "at the mouth of the river [Columbia],
a southerly is a Tilamooks wind...." while I could see a Puget Sounder calling
this wind a "Chinook."  I now the term Chinook, for a southerly wind, was used
during the Klondike gold-rush, and maybe from there ended up getting spread
around the place via popular literature, returning people, etc.  Puget
Sounders played an important role in the gold-rush.  Anyhow, just an idea....
LaXayEm, Jim