Add this vocabulary to your CJ bibliographies!

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri Feb 18 06:24:12 UTC 2000

David Robertson wrote:

> LhaXayEm.
>
> Na tl'ap ixt bUk
> I found a book
>                   khapa Spokane ya hayash bUk haws
>                   at the Spokane public library
>
>                                                 pi na lulu yaka khapa haws.
>                                                 and I brought it home.
>
> Victor A. MEYERS, "Indians in Washington", ?Olympia WA, ?1950.

I somehow managed to get a copy of that; can't remember where - on this
side of the border or that?  Hmmmmm.

> Khapa p. 27 mIlhayt
> On p. 27 there is
>                   tunus c'Em phepa
>                   a brief section
>                                     ya wawa khapa uk ChInuk Wawa.
>                                     which talks about Chinook Jargon.
>
> Dret ukuk khakwa
> This is identical
>                   khapa ukuk
>                   to the one
>                              ya mIlhayt khapa ixt WA skul bUk
>                              that's in a Washington school book
>                                                               na t'u7wEn.
>                                                               that I have.
>
> BEt khapa p. 28-30 lhas munk c'Em
> But on p. 28-30 they've printed
>                                "Tunus Wawa TIlIXEm IlEp Hayu Wawa Lhaska".
>                                 "A List of the Most Commonly Used Words".
>
> Wek qhanchi na hay-kEmtEks
> I've never heard
>                             khapa ukuk ChInuk bUk.
>                             of this Chinook publication.
>
> YEkwa na nanIch dret Xluwima tunus wawa,
> Here I see a really odd word,
>                                          "LIVER" pus "kuri cEqw".
>                                          "LIVER" for 'river'.

that's not so odd; I've seen it in several of the historic lexicons;
Anderson, I think; can't remember for KW at the moment; and some of the
Victoria-published lexicons.  Maybe it was unknown in Columbia Jargon?

Mike Cleven
http://members.home.net/skookum/
http://members.home.net/cayoosh/

PS the way your linebreaks split up makes an interesting verse form re
the content.....