James Douglas expulsion -Reply

Tony Johnson tony.johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Tue Feb 22 19:53:53 UTC 2000

James Douglas (a.k.a. Mike) pi kanawi-Laksta,

Kanawi-Laksta,

Ayaq nayka munk-c'Em khapa uk BastEn-wawa...

I really don't want to take sides on this matter, I hope it will work
itself out, and I truthfully don't know how this came about, but there
are a few things I do know.

Mike,

You need to get off of this "munk/mamook" and Native vs. non-Native
thing.  I have never complained about anything you posted, and in my
home "mamuk" (mamook) is the norm.  Grand Ronde has a very special and
expressive form of Chinuk (Chinook) and you're references to "munk"
implies that I or some Grand Ronde entity has complained about you.
Feel free to fight over this issue, but please know who you are fighting
with before you start throwing my name or forms of language which might
imply that I or our Language Program are opposed to your participation
on this important list.  Those of you who really know me and this
program's activities know that we are encouraging all efforts to
revitalize Chinuk, and that our efforts and products (new dictionary,
learning aides, etc.) will be available for this goal.

LaXayEm,

Tony A. Johnson
Sawash-ili?i
"Grand Ronde, OR"