orignal < Souriquois / Basque-Indian pidgin?

janilta janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP
Sat Jan 15 11:54:05 UTC 2000

Dave,

Hehehe... Yes, 'Iroquois' has definitely a Basque flavour 'iro-ko-a'
(the ('a') one of ('ko')...).
But the problem is 'iro' ! What can it be ?
I have actually found Algonquian 'iroqu' for 'real snakes (ie
enemies)'... Do you have another source ???
There are numerous examples of cross-cultural vocabulary exchanges and
this is one of the most interesting points in linguistics, no ?
Orignal & moose seem to bring us very far...
Btw, I found another 'caballo' in Delaware Pidgin, 'kabay'...

Tata, Yann.