moose/orignal

Aron Faegre faegre at TELEPORT.COM
Sat Jan 15 21:07:28 UTC 2000

Klahowya Yann,

Klonas wake siah copa Wawa.  Have I got one for you!   The origin of the
word 'Oregon' has not been pinned down last I heard.  Lewis McArthur's
classic 'Oregon Geographic Names' admits as much and spins around a couple
ideas, without much success.  It does say: 'We believe it probable that the
name Oregon arose out of some circumstances connected with western
explorations of the French' (pp.640), but I don't see that he ever tries out
Orignal!  If you've ever seen a herd of Oregon elk, you should (and still
can) -- they are impressive.  Not a bad animal to name a region after. What
do you think?  Now for an initiative to rename the state 'Moolack'?

Aron Faegre