The mystery of the Stuwix - an Athapaskan orChinookanpeopleamongst the Secx'emc -Reply

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Jan 17 19:44:41 UTC 2000

Tony Johnson wrote:

> Chinuk-tilixam,
>
> Ukuk chanti chxi Latuwa, na wawa khapa na Lush shiks.  Ukuk shiks miLayt
> khapa "Wam CEqw."  Ya wawa khapa nay, "Las wawa weyk-saya anaqati wasq'u
> tilixam Las Latuwa saya saXali ukuk wimaL (Columbia cEqw).  Lili Las
> miLayt khapa Xluwima ili?i pi weyk Las kEmtEks qha Las miLayt alta.
> Alaxti Las hilu, alaxti Las mali Xluwima sawash pi chaku dret-kakwa
> Laska."
>
> Dave, na tEmtEm uk Seylish tilixam ma wawa Las caku khapa uk kacaq
> wimaL.  Anqati tilixam wawa Xluwima tilixam miLayt weyk-saya uk
> "Dalles."  Tilixam wawa alaxti Seylish Laska.
>
> Dell, Rob, etc, qhanchi ma miLayt khapa wasq'u pi wishxam ili?i mEsayka
> chaku-kEmtEks ikanEm kakwa ukuk?
>
> k'oy? pus nEsayka nanich ukuk nim Las munk pus Las saya ili?i.
>
> Sik tEmtEM nayka pus wik lush na Sawash-wawa.
>
> LaXayEm--Tony
> Sawash-ili?i
>
> Chinuk-people,
>
> Last week I spoke to a good friend from Warm Springs.  He told me that
> they say "that not so very long ago Wasco people went up the Columbia
> river.  Apparently they stayed there and know one knows what happened to
> them.  They may have died or they may have married in with other Indians
> and became like them (or maybe they are still there?)."
>
> Dave, I think that the Salish people you are talking about came from the
> middle Columbia.  Some people have said that a different kind of people
> also lived near the Dalles.  People suggest that perhaps they were
> Salish.

<snip>

> I would like for us to see those names that they gave to their far away
> country.

<snip>

It appears there may have been more than one such precontact migration;
it would be interesting to try and tie all the oral histories together
and see if anything connects.

The addresses given in the book for the respective band administrations
do not include either fax or e-mail.  I'll check on the Web to see if
there are any on-line contacts, or at least a fax number.