kopar

janilta janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP
Mon Jan 17 23:36:25 UTC 2000

Mike,

Yes, I was aware of this very meaning of 'copper' (but anyway, thanks
for the explanation) and was only refering to 'copper'/'cuivre' as a
noun that can also bear the meaning of a copper object in English (yes,
'copper' as British cop, or even as a cooking object, no ?) or French,
and thus have a plural form, whereas when it refers to copper as raw
material, these words have no plural form.
But this is not the case in any language.
In Swedish, there are only two singular forms for copper, 'koppar' and
'koppar(e)n' (THE copper), since this word only has the meaning of
copper as raw material and has thus no plural. I am pretty sure it is
exactly the same in Icelandic and Norse.

Bless, Yann.