Kanaka tIlIXEm khapa anqEti Clark County

Jon Burpee jburpee at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 19 18:55:07 UTC 2000

According to Hudson's Bay Company records for 1845,
roughly 40-50% of the Fort Vancouver/Columbia
Department employees were Kanaka.  It was somewhat of
a surprising cultural feature for many of the American
immigrants who arrived over the Oregon Trail.
According to the writings of Company officials the
Islanders were hard workers who were trusty for any
job dealing with water.  Bateau crews, express (canoe)
men, and sailors on the Company's six ships that
traded up and down the Pacific coast.  Also, the
majority of the workers in the Fort Vancouver saw mill
were from Hawaii.