Fwd: [sovernspeakout] Fwd: community radio stations

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Jan 21 21:19:17 UTC 2000

> [...]
>>>  will have some requirements to ensure that license holders have a
>>>  base in the local community, according to Kennard.
>>>            ``We want to maximize the opportunities,'' he said.
>>>            Opponents such as the National Association of Broadcasters
>>>have
>>>  commissioned studies to document what they say would be the
>>>  degradation in service to listeners that could result from such
>>>  low-power stations.
>>>            ``We've provided what we believe is unassailable evidence
>>>that
>>>  low-power stations will add to the interference on an already
>>>  congested radio band,'' association spokesman Dennis Wharton said.
>>>  ``Thousands of people won't be able to hear their hometown radio
>>>  stations because of this.''
>>>            Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., a member of the House Commerce
>>>  Committee, made a last-minute pitch to the FCC on Wednesday, urging
>>>  the commission to make sure all harmful interference issues had
>>>  been addressed before the commission made its decision.
>>>            Kennard has said he would not do anything to interfere with
>>>  standard FM service. The FCC has said it was confident that
>>>  low-power stations could coexist with full-power FM stations.
>>>            In an effort to help regular FM stations grow and become
>>>  financially solid, the FCC stopped licensing low-powered FM radio
>>>  stations around 1978. But once the commission offered a proposal to
>>>  reintroduce low-power stations last year, it was flooded with
>>>  thousands of comments from interested parties.
>>>            Public interest groups say they will welcome the opportunity
>>>for
>>>  more people to have access to the airwaves, but stress that it's
>>>  only one step.
>>>            ``I wish this could address all of the concerns about mass
>>>media
>>>  consolidation,'' said Cheryl Leanza of the Media Access Project, a
>>>  public interest law firm. ``It's a meaningful step, but it's
>>>  certainly not a complete answer.''
>>>            Separately, the commission was expected to vote today on
>>>rules
>>>  to ensure broadcasters and cable companies are recruiting
>>>  minorities and women to fill vacancies. This comes after a 1998
>>>  court decision that scuttled the FCC's 30-year-old equal employment
>>>  opportunity rules for TV and radio stations, declaring them
>>>  unconstitutional.
>>>
>>>--
>>>-----------------------------------------------------
>>>Click here for Free Video!!
>>>http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

>>For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
>>anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a
>>digital camera.
>>http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/19896/_/948486658/
>>
>>-- Check out your group's private Chat room
>>-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=sovernspeakout&m=1

David Lewis                     541.684.9003
P.O. Box 3086           Cell 541.954.2466
Eugene, OR 97403

talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
         coyotez at oregon.uoregon.edu

                 http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez