? ChInuk Wawa reydiyo haws ?

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Jan 24 21:23:47 UTC 2000

Nadja Adolf wrote:

> I'd love to help! Except there was no CD from the last
> one, not even a tape. My accent stinks right now, let
> alone my vocabulary.

Well, before anyone actually tries to produce a radio show, why not use
some of the audio capabilities of the Web to have regular voice-chat
rooms so people can practice wawa=ing with each other even if it's
between Eugene and Vancouver or Grande Ronde and Seattle.  There are
certain programs - videophones of various kinds, especially - that allow
for multiple screens.  CU-SeeMe used to be a standard but now each
WebCam seems to have its own format, although maybe there's a way to set
everyone's preferences no matter what camera they're using.  I'm not
sure if Microsoft NetMeeting has audio/video capacity, but I suspect it
does.

Live-typing IRC or ICQ sessions would be good practice for people, just
to get "active lexicon" (coming up with words on the fly) going; written
correspondence can only help with more articulate and comfortable verbal
conversations, wake nah?  I'm on ICQ; if anyone wants to mamook masheen
wawa kopa naika, my ICQ Universal Identification Number is 7147894.

I just bought a WebCam Go from Creative Labs (the SoundBlaster people);
pretty cool; live video mirror on-screen plus both snap and short video
capacity; and you can "take with" and use it without a computer
attached; doesn't have a mic, though, although I'm thinking of getting a
portable MP3/digital player anyway.....

Anyway, webvoice conversations might be a good way to prep for the radio
show/station idea.  Net Radio's tricky to organize and tough to keep
manned - like any radio station; I think a syndicatable show is probably
a good thing, and would get wide exposure.  But better that we get up to
snuff as reasonably adequate speakers.  I know I can write Jargon fairly
well, but when actually faced with Tony talking in it casually my ears
aren't up to speed; I know I can think in the Jargon; listening and
actually speaking are something different, and require experience.

I know the radio show "Klahowya" at Vancouver's Co-Op Radio would
welcome a visit from wawa-ing Grande Ronders.  There's also a "Metis
Matters" show on Co-op (CFRO) whose producer was interested in the Metis
relationship with the Jargon and would have welcomed a guest to tell the
story of the Jargon and reintroduce people to it.  Any other native
political or cutlural or social news from Oregon or Washington that they
could get they'd probably like to receive, by the way.....

Metis Matters has _really_ cool Metis fiddle music available for sale on
tape; kind of like the Irish-Maritime-Quebecois tradition but with a
different, rougher sound and a different repertoire.  If you're into
fiddle, you should definitely search them out....