Kiksht -Reply

Tony Johnson tony.johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Mon Jan 31 23:16:06 UTC 2000

Alan,

I'm not the best person to respond to this, but my understanding of the
word "kiksht" is that it is the language's description of itself.  I
remember one quote from page 192 of Sapir's Wishram texts where the
informant states in Wishxam, "they 'kiksht' their-speech."  This is in
reference to all of the upper chinook speakers.  Sapir's texts were
collected in 1905 and I imagine that Boas, or someone, has an earlier
recording.

LaXayEm--Tony A. Johnson
Sawash-ili?i "Grand Ronde, OR"

>>> "Alan H. Hartley" <ahartley at D.UMN.EDU> 01/31/00 12:45pm >>>
Can anyone tell me the origin, and earliest occurrence, of the name
KIKSHT, one of the Upper Chinookan languages (including the Cascades,
Clackamas, and Wasco-Wishram dialects)? I've got a cite from 1940 but
assume there's something earlier.

Thanks for any help.

Alan