Chinook Jargon in "Structure of Twana Culture" by W. Elmendorf

David Robertson of Chinook drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG
Tue Jul 18 06:27:54 UTC 2000

LhaXayEm, shiks!

This could be of special interest to those of you who prefer the Puget
Sound variety of Chinook Jargon.  From William W. Elmendorf's classic "The
Structure of Twana Culture" (with Comparative Notes on the Structure of
Yurok Culture by A.L. Kroeber), published by Washington State University
Press, Pullman, WA, 1992, come these tidbits from Twana Salish speakers
relating to CJ and Northwest language contact (normalized to our email
phonetic writing):

p. 86:  [k'wa'las] "raccoon"
        [k'wE'chEdi] "rabbit" cf. CJ <kwitshadie>

p. 100:  [plu:'li] "Florrie", the name of a dog circa 1860's

p. 102:  [o7o'tXs] "Chinook-type canoe" ( < Chinookan?)

p. 105:  "captain" as a pan-NW Indian term for the leader of a seaborne
hunting canoe

p. 121:  [p'uwa'y] "halibut"

p. 127:  [wa'pEtu] "arrowhead (plant) => "potato"

p. 129 fn 1:  [ali'lu7u] "salmonberry; a 'Klallam term'" cf. CJ <olallie>

              [su'p u'lali] "soapberry"

I have a great deal more of these references in one of my notebooks.

Lhush wam pulakli; nixwa ma musEm lhush pi lili, pi qhanchi ma gIdEp tEmala
chxi san, lhush ma mEkmEk ma Wheaties.

Dave

p. 144:  [swaq'e'q'] "frogs"

p. 154:  "Enatai" as a village name

p. 171:  [q'wEla:'di] "ear" cf. CJ <kwolan>