"Ankuttie" Chinook, a language standardized for an odd purpose: Writing one word at a time...was Re: [Fwd: Re: "Tanasvale" in Portland, Oregon]

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Oct 11 01:08:18 UTC 2000

Hayash mersi, Jeff,

As usual your energy makes for creative results.

AnyWho sounds like a neat research tool, and of course we should keep in mind the variant spellings that are used in the Old Style for many Chinook Jargon words.

But it's remarkable how many CJ words there are which have gained virtually standardized spellings in the English alphabet:  "skookum", "kloshe", "illahee", "wawa", "chuck", "hiyu" or "hi-yu".

Can any of you think of others?

These were words which were widely known and apparently relatively frequently used by speakers of English, and maybe for that reason they were or will be the last fragments of Chinook Jargon to be forgotten by Bostons.  (There's another one--"Boston"!)  Fodder for a brief paper in the subfield of linguistics now known as Language Death (for real).

It strikes my funnybone that one could fairly say CJ had, by its time of maximum expansion, become quite standardized in written form.  However, these standardized spellings applied mostly, I think, to "bons mots" of Jargon; meaning, to isolated words dropped into Northwest English discourse.  Compare this with the widely accepted use of "soundbites" of Latin, French, or Greek in literary English.

When people wanted to demonstrate that they had an active grasp of spoken Chinook Jargon, it seems to me, they wrote it the way they perceived the sounds, rather than following the spellings of Gibbs' vocabulary or the like.  (I'm thinking of quotations like "Cla-how-you six!")

Thoughts?

Dave