Additional loanwords => Tlingit

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sat Aug 18 02:18:31 UTC 2001

Dave Robertson wrote:

> LhaXayam,
>
> >From the "Tlingit Literacy Session" book mentioned yesterday, also these:
>
> Tl     gishu` (Teslin & Atlin dialects)
>        geshu` (Carcross dialect)
> En     pig  [from Chinook Jargon]  (page 5)
>
> Tl     da^na`
> En     money  [from Chinook Jargon]  (page 10)

Given some of the other consonant shifts in the first list, couldn't
this be from "tolla"; I don't know enough about consonant shifting but I
seem to recall that t=>d fairly easily (and I'd suspect that 't' in GRW
is unaspirated anyway, yes?) and also that l=>n sometimes.

> Tl     je^gi't
> En     jacket
>
> Tl     ch'a^k'  [similar to CJ chakchak]
> En     eagle
>
> Tl     ja'nwu  [could this be a loan, or = "mountain goat"?]
> En     goat

What about Fr. "chevre"?

> Tl     ku^x  [native?]
> En     rice

"cook"?

 Tl     gu't  [native?]
> En     dime

_If_ "dime" was used in TlJ; we know about "kwahta", i.e. 25cents; in
frontier English a "bit" was a dime; how this became 'two bits' (prob.
originally "two and a half bits") is A. Hartley's department.

MC