FOUND: 'Over 5000 Chinook words equivalent to 7500 English'

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Dec 29 07:50:57 UTC 2001

Our excellent fellow CHINOOK member Terry Glavin ends his essay "Damned
Rascal, Son of a Bitch:  A Discussion" (I refer to page 54 of Charles
Lillard & Terry Glavin, "A Voice Great Within Us [The Story of Chinook]"
published in Vancouver by Transmontanus / New Star Books, 1998):

"[Publisher of _Kamloops Wawa_, Father] Le Jeune mentions a 'miniature
reproduction of 5,000 Chinook words, equal to 7,500 English words, all in a
post-card size space 3 1/4 x 5 1/2".'  Its whereabouts are unknown."

Sitting right under that Nativity story just posted to you all, there was a
photocopy I'd made from materials Mike Cleven showed me in 1998:  "[Page]
165 / ST. CECILIA, VIRGIN AND MARTYR / Over 5000 Chinook words equal to
7500 English words, in one page."  I haven't established which issue of
_KW_ this appeared in.  The measurements of the page of text are actually 3
3/8 x 5 1/4".

Found!