Ojibway & Cree

George Lang george.lang at UALBERTA.CA
Sat Dec 29 23:02:02 UTC 2001

Those who might want to follow up on Anthony's precis could check
out the relevant passages in Peter Bakker's book on Michif, A
Language of our Own.  Peter had to sort out the connections between
Cree and Ojibway in order to make some sense of the Indian
component of Michif.

We should probably throw _siskiyou_ into the batch, right?

One thing I find puzzling about the purported Ojibway origin of
_tutush_ was that circa 1790 Meares used the word, presumably in its
guise as "breast", for Tatoosh Island off Cape Flattery.  I think we all
suppose that the Ojibway and Cree came in through the continental
fur trade   One of those little mysteries....

George