A word and Warm Springs

Nadja Adolf nadja at NODE.COM
Fri Feb 9 04:13:33 UTC 2001

	From: Lisa M Peppan <lisapeppan at JUNO.COM>

	> He further writes:
	> "Be wary of overcompensating for the vices and
	> resentments of the past lest you create vices and
	> resentments for the future."

The greatest danger is becoming exactly like those one opposes.

	> More still:
	> "I sympathize with the Warm Springs resistance to
	> use of the S-word to mean "Indian" or "native person"
	> in the Jargon, since in their community (as in others)
	> the word has become clearly derisive in context with
	> many unpleasant  memories..."

Unfortunately, that is the Chinook Wawa word for generic American Indian
person. I understand the WS resistance, but I also understand that as
pronounced at GR it doesn't sound much like the S word as commonly heard
from some people.

I rarely agree with Mike, as Lisa, Dave, and others can attest, but on the
use of this word, unless and until there is a widely accepted alternative
I'm going to agree with Mike here.

nadja