an open letter to Dave

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sun Feb 11 08:09:40 UTC 2001

Khanawi na shiks-tilixam,

In Jeff's message, I wasn't sure which of Peter's emails he must be referring to.  Now that I can see which was meant, I will say I disagree with you on this, Jeff, and that Peter's question never struck me as having untoward or ulterior tones.

However, with reference to several points that have resurfaced in the current discussion, there's a major point I'd like to propose, which reflects a strong belief of mine:

Pus alaxti ma tiki wawa khakwa, pi wEXt pus alaxti weyk ma tiki wawa khakwa, t'lunEs tilixam lhaska tEmtEm mayka mEsachi-tEmtEm lhaska.  Whether one intends to seem this way or not, one may still be taken for a racist.

I also feel that a person can actually be just as racist without intending it, as a person who is filled with conscious hatred.

As reflected in the greeting message which is sent to new subscribers of this list, I in my capacity as moderator ask people to keep civil tongues and respectful hearts.  Following general rules of netiquette is much-appreciated behaviour as well; for example, please do not post anyone's personal email messages sent to you, unless you get that person's explicit permission.

Discussion of issues of present-day relations between "races" in the Pacific Northwest (and elsewhere) seems to me to have genuine relevance to the subject matter of any list devoted to the Chinook Jargon.  This language's origin lies, in point of fact, in the events resulting from the contact of indigenous with alien cultures in this region.

Allow me, please, to ask that you all treat one another with civility in these discussions.

Of all possible political issues, the one which is least likely to change much or to disappear is that of relations among races.  (Just think, in the 1920s the Big Issue was Prohibition of Alcohol; in the 1940s the Jap/Hun Threat; in the 1960s Equal Rights; and so on through a string of endless permutations of public concern.  But Indians remained Indians, Whites remained Whites, and so on *ad nauseam*.)  One's ethnic and genetic heritage is after all not mutable.  It is also very likely to be a source of intense personal identity, and therefore of very strong passions.  Please do your best, my friends, to keep calm heads when you feel attacked .  Your own emotions may be as telling as any putative attacker's motives.
My deep thanks to all who have shared their perceptions so far, and to those who will do so in future.

Yours sincerely,
Dave