Origin of Taxi Konglish

Lee Falconer leefalconer at YAHOO.CA
Wed Feb 14 20:58:37 UTC 2001

Hi,

I don't know if you all are arguing whether the Chinook Jargon
we know today came down directly from a pre-European Chinookan
pidgeon, or whether a Chinookan pidgeon ever existed at all before
Europeans. If it's the latter, then I'd say there must have been
hundreds. Some existing for hours, some days, some for 50 years or
more.

Maybe a hundred years from now a linguist or historian will say
that there most certainly was not a Korean/English pidgeon that
existed for 45 minutes, in 1997, in a Seoul taxi, on the way to the
airport. But I know there was. Because Mr. Pak and I made it. This
taxi "Konglish" was used to discuss the economy, ask for directions,
and say flattering things about each other's country.

Lee