[Fwd: Re: Another Sahaptin - CJ cognate]

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Feb 16 05:01:18 UTC 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Another Sahaptin - CJ cognate
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:53:32 -0400
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at cstone.net>
To: Dave Robertson <tuktiwawa at netscape.net>

As to 'sweet', the situation is more complicated.  Wasco-Wishram has
t'si in words having to do with sweetness.

i-ya-ts'i-mum  'it's sweetness, it's sweet'  (Hiram Smith 7/21/56
cf. a-ts'i-sablal
i-c'ic'i-qwtaks

When Boas began work at the mouth of the Columbia, hje obtained a Clatsop
vocabulary . The original is in the Library of the American Philosophical
Society, where, when I copied it long ago, it was identified as Pn4b.6.
    'Pn" represents Penutian.  These identifications were made by
Morris Swadesh.

The vocabulary at APS is alphabetized by English glosses.
    'sweet'  is   ia:ts'e:mam  (with a small b avove the first m,
indicating the pronunciation at the river mouth in which Boas found it
sometimes difficult to distinguish [m] and [b].  The colons in my typing
represent macrons in Boas' writing.

    So it would seem that forms for sweetness involving ts'i were known
at both ends of Chinookan territory.  And were productive (more than one
form), at least in Wasco-Wishram. I apologize for not digging out thesecond
and third Wasco entries, but -sablal is 'bread'.

    All  best,
            Dell