Fwd: Fort Nisqually Shop Blotter Vol. 4 excerpt

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Feb 22 08:10:43 UTC 2001

Dave Robertson wrote:
<engl snipped>

> [Manuscript Endnotes and Misc., Entries]
> [Salish Trade Language Primer for Clerks?]
>
> Eeght -1, Moxt - 2, Thune - 3, lakit - 4, grunnums - 5, tughum -6, sinnamoxt
> - 7, Stoughtikin - 8, Quaist - 9, Tatteilum - 10.

"Th" may be an American-English way of trying to write the /'tl/, or
maybe it was how local non-natives simplified the sound for their own
speech?  That long vowel - for it has to be doesn't it, an /ei/? - in
Tatteilum doesn't look or sound anything like any other version of the
Chinook "ten" I've seen; then there's that guttural at the end of the
first syllable of what I know as "stotekin"; that's not anything like
GR, is it?

> Nutsho, Saallie, Thleuch-moas, jelatch, jelatchie, hoaks, tukatchie, Whull,
> Panatch.

Whew?  Any takers on what language/meaning Nutsho onwards?

> Eketa mika tekegh 'eescum kwopa ookook - "What do you want to buy or get for
> this?"
> Eketa mika mammook - "What are you doing?"
> How mammook - "Work away, work away."
> Hayak - hayak/hayak! - Quickly - "Be quick!"
> Chacoo eescum mukamuk - "Come & get your grub."
> Kagh klattawa - "Where are you going?"
> Chacoo yughka - "Whence did ye come?"

OK, Dave, here's an opportunity to explore that notion of a homogenous
native phonology throughout native usage of the Jargon; how closely do
these English renderings (according to the spelling habits and perhaps
ethnic origin of the clerk spelling them) fit with GR Chinuk-Wawa.  I
know the essence of what you've been saying is simply that natives spoke
the Wawa in a more Indian way because they make sounds that do not exist
elsewhere (which, of course, is self-evident); but it's come out as if
the prononciations that have developed and congealed into
modern/traditional GR Chinuk-Wawa are common throughout the Skookum
Illahee (the land where 'skookum' is a word); I see some pretty strong
differences above between whatever variety of Puget Sound Jargon that is
and what I see coming out of GR or even up my way; this may be
Indian-style prononciation (or a rough rendering of it only) but to me
it's pretty clear that it's a different prononciation from others that
we're familiar with.

"Eketa" is interesting for "what?"; source language?

<snip>
> Whsilkitm - 1 med[ium] Beaver

Language?  Lushootseed or Chehalis, presumably?