[Fwd: Re: Fwd: Fort Nisqually Shop Blotter Vol. 4 excerpt]

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 23 20:27:31 UTC 2001

>Thanks very much indeed for the transcript of the Fort Nisqually Trade Shop
>Blotter item.
>
>The numerals are excellent Chinookan.  Indeed, the form for '8' indicates
>     lower Columbia Chinookan (attested in Shoalwater Chinook--I don't
>     know of a form for Kathlamet--not the same as in Wasco-Wishram).

Why would HBC staff at Nisqually show this pref?  Supposedly it may be
because the HBC's use of the language was formed and focussed at Fort
Vancouver, i.e. in Chinookan territory; I'd have expected there to be some
Salishan influence at Nisqually; but maybe these blotter notes wouldn't
represent how the locals used the tongue, but how the staff had learned to
(i.e. from a Chinookan perspective).

MC