"Nke7lhepmx"!

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 26 17:34:57 UTC 2001

Lhush san, khanawi-lhaksta,

>Oops! Reading Mike's note, I realize my tired fingers went wandering over
>the keyboard. That should have come out as "Nlhe7kepmx" in an ASCII sort of
>phonetics. My apologies; it may be inferred that I'm not very familiar with
>that ethnic group.

More than the rest of us; I just knew about the spelling preference because
Terry G had corrected me about it a long time ago (here in the list, in
fact); back in the '70s I saw a spelling that went Nlkpmx; and there are
variant spellings throughout Thompson territory; but the band/national
government has settled on the Nlaka'pamux, just as the Lillooets now prefer
St'at'imc over Stl'atl'imx, even though those /t'/ characters are the
lateral fricative that (to me) is better described by /tl'/.  I think the
spelling you've quoted is the linguistics one; Barbara would know more if
she was currently subscribed, I think....