?Did we know of this website? 2 Chinook Jargon prayers

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 27 07:20:35 UTC 2001

>Good evening,
>
>Amazing what you find when you search in a brand-new way.  I did a
>websearch
>for "nesika" and scored hits for "Nesika Bay" in Oregon, "Nesika Beach" in
>Washington, and for a couple of Jargon prayers at a Catholic-looking
>website:
>
>http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-chinook.html

It's actually not a "Catholic-looking" website, it's _the_ Catholic website
which IIRC the Vatican has adopted as its web mouthpiece (it originally
started as a fan site for John Paul II).  I'd found it years ago while
searching for the Vatican Museums and Library, which are also accessible
through www.christusrex.org although of course you won't get into any of the
secret bits.....

>Herewith the text, my suggested readings and notes appearing in [square
>brackets]:
>
>               CHINOOK WAWA ( Chinook Jargon, Chinook Pidgin, Tshinul
>[Tshinuk] Wawa )
>
>                         Spoken along the Pacific coast from Oregon to
>Alaska, USA.
>                                            U.S.A. - Canada
>
>Nesika Papa klaxta mitlite kopa Sahalee,
>kloshe kopa nesika tumtum mika nem.
>Nesika hiyu tikeh chahco mika illahee;
>Mamook mika kloshe tumtum
>kopa okoke illahee kahkwa kopa S[a]halee.
>Potlatch konaway nesika mesahchee,
>kahkwa nesika mamook kopa klaska
>spose mamook mesahchee kopa nesika.
>Wake lolo nesika kopa peshak pee marsh
>siah kopa nesika k[o]noway mesahchee.
>Kloshe kahkwa.
>
>[Line 1:  Haven't I seen /lhaksta/~<klaxta> elsewhere in Puget Sound-area
>CJ
>also used as a relative pronoun?  This prayer is probably from Myron Eells
>or another Protestant missionary.]
>
>Contributed by Jeffrey L. Dyer - E-mail jdyer at lincolnberean.org

Given the Ultra-Catholic nature of the webdomain this is posted in, I highly
doubt that it's a Protestant rendering.  Isn't there a version of the Lord's
Prayer in the KW or any of the other Oblate materials?

>                                              Hail Mary!  [a facsimile of
>this text scanned from a book accompanies the following]
>
>Klahawiyam Mali,
>maika pati [i.e. patl] kopa lagrace,
>Sahalé-Tayé kanamokst maika,
>maika ilep tlous kopa kanawé kloutchémin,
>ilep tlous maika tanas Jesu.
>
>O tlous Mali,
>iaka mania [i.e. mama] kopa Sahalé-Tayé,
>mamouk stiwilh kopa Sahalé-Tayé pous nsaika,
>massachi télikom, alta pi alke pous nsaika chako memelous.
>Tlous pous kakwa.
>
>[This prayer is obviously Catholic, with French-language influence, and
>contains at least one word, <stiwilh> "pray(er)", from a Coast Salish
>language or languages.  If I had to guess I'd say this prayer was composed
>in Jargon on Vancouver Island by the first bishop of Victoria & Vancouver's
>Island, Modeste Demers, some time in or after 1842.  But I don't have to
>guess.]
>
>Contributed by David G. Landsnes, MD - E-mail dgwlmd at superlink.net
>
>                                              Hail Mary!

For "Hail Mary" I guess "Klahowya Mary" (Howdy Mary) would be just a little
too informal, huh?

MC