origin of "quimnut", "quinnut" => Quinault?

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 28 20:37:17 UTC 2001

>Blueback refers to sockeye salmon.  "quinnat" was an early specific epithet
>for chinook salmon (Reference: Scott and Crossman, 1973. "Freshwater Fishes
>of Canada". A variant of quinnat, "tkWInat" (where kW=rounded k, I=stressed
>i), is the term for chinook salmon in mid-columbia sahaptin (Hunn, E. 1990.
>"Nch'i-Wana "The Big River": Mid-Columbia Indians and Their Land."
>
>Hope this helps.

Well, it _would_ make sense that an upriver people were the source of the
French word of this fish if it's Canadian/Metis French that is the source
dialect; which presumably it is because there ain't no Chinook salmon in the
Bay of Biscay AFAIK; I'm wondering where Sir J. Richardson's 1829 citation
as quoted by Alan has _its_ origin; and I'm wondering when "chinook"
replaced "quinnut" in English, as by Alan's reference it seems to have......

Guess my guess about La Perouse was way off.....

MC