Question about Nuu-chah-nulth trade language (Nootkan)

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sun Jan 21 04:07:19 UTC 2001

LhaXayEm,

In Volume 17 of the Smithsonian "Handbook of North American Indians", Ives Goddard's article on "The Classification of the Native Languages of North America" notes on page 293 that

     'Latham (1860:251-252, 340) grouped a number of Nootkan vocabularies as Wakash; some of these also were collected outside Nootkan territory and reflect the use of Nootka as a trade language.'

No further information is provided.  I'm curious what data Goddard is using to back his statement up--perhaps Latham himself, though I have not yet read that material.

Does any scholar on this list have information about the extent of a Nuu-chah-nulth lingua franca?  I am aware primarily of Sturtevant's oft-cited 1948 paper (which I've never found, either) and Samarin's theories about a Nootka Jargon origin for Chinook Jargon.

Your suggestions will be most welcome.

Many thanks,
Dave