'Stick Indians' (was...RE: Re: The Stick Samish)

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon Jul 30 20:44:07 UTC 2001

Hello,

Not that the Oxford English Dictionary will necessarily be interested in recording every nuance of every dialect of the language, but here's a further twist in the discussion.

'Stick Indians' would appear to be a current term in the English spoken by some Interior Indians, for example near Spokane, Washington.  The sense can be, I think, either 'quasi-mythical unacculturated tribes of Indians who live in the remaining wilderness areas', or else something verging on 'sasquatch'.  In the latter sense, the Spokane Salishan translation as I recall it is /sc'w'en'eyti/.

The sense 'Indians of the Interior', and the specificity of usage by coastal tribes, is unfamiliar to me.  Is the phrase still in use in that context?

It isn't hard to imagine CJ /stik sawash/ having spread from coastal to interior usage, mutating its sense as geographic and social surroundings shifted.  Once you're in the Interior, you might find no 'Other' groups who are much more geographically isolated than your own, and the term 'Stick Indians' could then shift toward a legendary sense.

(Note:  Isn't it in Melville Jacobs' "Chinook Jargon Texts" that one northwestern Indian narrator uses the term /stik injEn/?)

Dave

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous