Troubled waters under a bridge

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Sat Jun 30 14:29:13 UTC 2001

I think that one of the bridges, probably not the first as the Hagwilget
Canyon area has been a major fishing spot for thousands of years, was built
in the late 1860s using abandoned wire and insulators, etc., from that
telegraph project (I don't have a book at hand to check this so am trying to
remember) which would link North America with Siberia and eventually Europe.
The present bridge sort of echoes the one in the 1872 photograph!

>The photos are quite interesting. It appears there have been a
>succession of bridges there, first timber and eventually steel, the
>first one shown was photographed in the 1872.
>
>If others would like to take a look, a shortcut is to go directly to
>the visual records search page
>http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cgi-bin/www2m/Visual_Records and
>enter Hagwilget bridge.  On the next page click on "display all
>images" and "view contact sheet" to see thumbnails of them all.
>
>J.
>
>On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:18:48 -0700, "Theresa Kishkan"
><tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM> wrote:
>
>>If you go to B.C.'s Provincial Archives at<http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca>
>>and go to the visual records link, you can type in Hagwilget as your search
>>term and see photographs of the wonderful bridge built near Hazelton.

Theresa Kishkan
RR1 Site 20 C11
Madeira Park, B.C.
V0N 2H0
(604)883-2377
Red Laredo Boots (1996); Sisters of Grass (2000); Inishbream (2001)

"The grey geese circled Inishbream and the population fled, leaving their
tables laid for another stranger to discover, leaving a brand of turf to
burn away to cold ash."