Isaac I. Stevens' papers

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Thu Nov 1 03:57:36 UTC 2001

Klahowya,

Looks like several NW newspapers ran their own or A.P. wire stories about the auction.  The papers haven't sold yet, and one or more parties are attempting to obtain funds to purchase the lot for a public institution.

Does any of you know offhand whether these same materials have been worked up into published form yet?  They sound like they could contains bits and pieces of useful Chinook Jargon.  If so, perhaps one use for that information would be in evaluating how well Governor Stevens was communicating with Natives in his treaty negotiations.

Thanks to some of you for sending me copies of relevant news articles.  I'd like to forward them to you all, but several of them expressly forbid further dissemination!

Dave
--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous