A Chinook or Jargon word for "Moon"?

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Nov 18 05:26:39 UTC 2001

"Thomas R. Speer" wrote:

> Dear Chinook List members:
>
> Does anyone know a Chinook or Jargon word for "Moon",
> besides the "King Chaush" word?  If so, please let me
> know.  Thank you.

Chinook proper probably has one, but the Jargon doesn't.  It's worth
noting that the English loanword "sun" is used to mean "day" (as in a
unit of counting) rather than the sun proper.  I'd imagine that the
terms for celestial bodies as such are particular to each language;
although of course in the case of rainy districts like Nuxalk, Squamish
and Haisla perhaps there aren't any words for the sun or moon at all ;-)
(just joking of course).

MC