Harrington notes [fwd from A. Grant]

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Apr 9 21:56:20 UTC 2002

"Anthony Grant" <Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com> wrote:

Laxauya!

The Harrington recordings are indeed a source of mystery, and the same can
be said of some of the paper notes (he's said to have taken 2 million pages
of fieldnotes). I've mostly looked at what he got for Peoria, but I've read
the Mills and Briockfield guides on what he got for languages of various
regions inasmuch as this had been ascertained c. 1981.

JPH got a lot of CJ from Emma Luscier, a speaker of a Coast Salishan langueg
(I forget which), and he 'reheard' Edward Harper Thomnas' book for this
purpose. (Harrington had a fine phonetic ear but he beleieved that nobody
else could do a linguistic job as well as he could.  He only rarely strayed
form his favoured technique of sprucing up the phonetics of the material on
a given language that someone else had collected.)  There are CJ forms in
the Lower Umpqua data he got from Spencer Scott, and doubtless there are
others in the course of his data on other NW languages.  It's also believed
he got material on Molala and maybe some variety of Kalapuyan.

Come to think of it, there are recordings in as yet unidifentified
languages, not made by JPH, in the Linguistics Department at UC-Berkeley.
They're of a similar vintage - early to mid-20th century.  I was there in
2000 and meant to ask Leanne Hinton for the opportunbity to listen to them
and try my hand at identifying them, but felt a bit too sheepish to ask.
Maybe there's some CJ among those.

Anthony