Chinook and the Ethnologue

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 1 00:44:03 UTC 2002

>From: Tom Larsen <bvtl at ODIN.PDX.EDU>
>To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: Re: Tilicum
>Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:07:20 -0800
>
>Well, this is just another example of how you can't trust everything you
>read in Ethnologue.  Kiksht is not Lower Chinook, it's another name
>(actually the native name, if I'm not mistaken) for Upper Chinook.  It
>is my understanding that there are no speakers left of any kind of Lower
>Chinook ("Shoalwater", Clatsop). Tony Johnson would probably know more
>about this than I would, though. I note in the snippets from the
>Ethnologue that were cited that they have also classed Clackamas as
>Lower Chinook.  This is also incorrect.  Clackamas was a variety of
>Kiksht (Upper Chinook).

Liland: So I was apparently right in my previous statement about the
extinction of Lower Chinook.

I quite agree the Ethnologue is not reliable, however, it does provide
*some* information (even if incorrect) about virtually every documented
living or recently extinct language in the world, and a point from which to
start correcting, arguing, or nitpicking.

Liland (lilEnd)