Chinook and the Ethnologue

Tom Larsen bvtl at ODIN.PDX.EDU
Fri Feb 1 01:05:42 UTC 2002

Yeah, don't get me wrong.  The Ethnologue is an invaluable resource.
It's just that some folks seem to take what the Ethnologue says as
gospel truth, and it just ain't always so.  In many cases (perhaps even
most cases, I really don't know for sure), it's correct, or about as
close to correct as one can expect.  In some cases one could nitpick
about what they say, but what they do say is at least one viable
interpretation of the facts, so that's probably OK too.  In a few cases,
such as what they say about Chinook, it's just dead wrong.  And in some
cases what they say seems to represent what one might call "political
posturing".  That is to say, they take a position (usually one advocated
by an SIL member) that no one else (that is to say, no one not connected
with SIL) would agree with, and they present this as if there were no
dissenting opinions.  Sometimes these positions seem to be taken more in
conformity with some local sociopolitical ideology than with actual
linguistic fact.  And then, of course, there are the cases where no one
really knows for sure what's going on, so they're basically just
guessing.  So, like I said, it is an invaluable resource since no one
else has put together all of this kind of information in one place.  But
it is, nevertheless, a resource that must be used judiciously.  One
shouldn't ignore what they say, but one should keep a critical eye out.

email: larsent at pdx.edu