Talapus 'Coyote'

Ross Clark (FOA LING) r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Sun Feb 3 05:01:51 UTC 2002

It's taken me a while to get back to my notes, but I knew I had seen
something else like this. Gabriel Franchere's Chinook vocabulary has
'Etalapass' glossed as 'God, or the Supreme Being'. I wondered about the
connection with 'coyote' at the time (transformer >> creator?). Is this as
far as it goes in CJ? Is there a word like this in Chinook proper?

Ross Clark