Click

Ross Clark (FOA LING) r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Mon Feb 4 06:02:26 UTC 2002

I think that's a promising etymology, but if the medial consonant was the
pharyngeal /H/ I would have expected it to survive, giving a bisyllabic
"kleehack" or some such. Compare the word for "arrow", Nootka /c'i:Hati/,
given by Anderson as Tsee'hatte, Walker Seehatté, Moziño si-ja-ti, etc.

There is an apparently cognate word with a /t/ in it, Nootka /L'itHaq/
'skin', which turns up in the NJ with the meaning "bear skin" (or "bear" --
the early visitors saw far more skins of large land animals than they did
live specimens): Anderson Klee't'kak, Walker Klitheek, Moziño clit-jac, etc.

Ross Clark