computer font question

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Tue Feb 5 18:20:40 UTC 2002

George Lang wrote:

> I had a vaguely functional PC system for writing Chinook Jargon and
> Chinook itself to screen and print, twisting the IPA I got from SIL.  They
> have an 1993 IPA  version I've been able to download but it is missing
> some of the elements (like the barred lambda) which are despite
> what the IPA people say is necessary for NW languages.

I think the IPA for barred lambda would be tL (where L = barred ell),
and for plain lambda dL. IPA doesn't have separate symbols (I believe)
for affricates. Americanist c, for instance is represented as ts, and
c-wedge (or c-hacek) as tS (S = esh, or s-hacek).

IPA's font page is http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipafonts.html
where Linguist's Software is the only alternative to SIL.

Alan