Fonts for Wawa Thanks

George Lang george.lang at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Feb 7 17:19:20 UTC 2002

First, thanks to those who helped with tips.  I'm posting this since it
might be of use to others working with Wawa, with apologies to those
to whom it is known and obvious.

There are two easily available IPA fonts, the first gratis from SIL (enter
"sil" into Google), the second moderately  expensive, US$ 99, from
Linguists' Software (ditto to Google).  Both have Windows and Mac
versions, and the later will work with OS X, though for the time being
some of the keyboarding is likely to be awkward.

Following your tips, I  discovered that Prof Patricia Shaw at UBC
Linguistics can provide a free font system for BC languages, though
whether it would work for you depends on the characters you use.

Also, the Linguistics Dept at U Victoria (Google) has a web mounted
IPA "keypad" which will allow you to post IPA glyphs on your websites
(there might be a legal problem if you embed proprietary fonts like
Linguists' Software).  //web.uvic.ca/hrd/ipa.

Finally, in my case, I realized that I needed not only the IPA, which will
cover the Grand Ronde orthography, but fonts beyond the IPA, since I
do occasionally cite Nootka or Old Chinook, etc, and in particular need
the lambda and barred lambda.  So I've had to break down and buy
the Linguists' Software set called Laser Salish.

My kingdom for a few glyphs...

George