"sewellel" redux; "Cenaqua"

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Sat Feb 9 13:49:50 UTC 2002

Dave Robertson wrote:

> A little more about "sewellel", also known as the "mountain beaver":  In the Hilbert-Hess-Bates Lushootseed Salish dictionary (University of Washington Press, 1994), we find indexed under "beaver" (not under "mountain" or any other main entry) the forms /shaw7kwL/, /shaw7L/, /shEw7L/.  Note that I've adapted the spellings to an email version of current Grand Ronde CJ writing.  These forms look somewhat similar to "sewellel" & similar, and this makes me wonder whether we have here another example of an animal name that has very similar forms from language to language in the Pacific Northwest.

I might have posted these before...

1910 F.W. Hodge Hdbk Amer. Indians II. 558

Showtl. A name of a species of rodent (Haplodon rufus) of parts of the
Oregon-British Columbia region, known as the sewellel.., or shavt'l, the
name of this animal in the Nisqualli and closely related Salishan
dialects.

1855 Repts. Railroad to the Pacific (33rd Cong., 2d sess., Senate Exec.
Doc. 78) XII. iii. 100

Aplodontia leporina, Rich. Sewellel...Its name, in the Nisqually
language, is Showt'l, (showhurll, Suckley.)