few more French etymological possibilities

janilta@j.email.ne.jp janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP
Thu Feb 14 01:23:58 UTC 2002

Mike, hello,

I think many of these words have already been discussed here before so I
apologize to the readers for 'les redites'.

Indeed, 'la toque' is usually used in French for the white chef hat and
apparently sometimes for a fur hat BUT the word is 'la tuque' in Quebec
(generally a woollen cap), which is, I guess, similar to the word used
in the rest of Canada...
The explanation on 'capot/capote' is again correct BUT if I recall well,
'capot' was the term used in France's French as well some time ago (thus
the use in Canada, it is even perhaps still used as a regionalism in
some parts of French-speaking Europe). Note again though that Quebec's
'le capot' is perhaps different in shape from Fr 'la capote'. Funny to
see that the 'French letter' can be called 'la capote' in France... and
'la tuque' in Quebec... ;-)
Yes, we discussed this 'lakween' thing already. In French 'la scie
égoïne/l'égoïne'.
I have never heard of 'la cingle' but the verb 'cingler' exists
(different meaning though). Must check further.
Yes, of course la chandelle, le chandail is a jumper.
I don't think we can have 'sh' sound in 'le seigle', nor in
'l'habillement' either. But proper research must be done in
historical/regional phonetics in that case too.
Here again, you must keep in mind that French was different when it came
to America and then moved westward until it reached the place where Wawa
developped. F ex, even if 'dret/te' may have kept this pronunciation in
Normandie, you have to remember that often the 'oi' vowel used to be
different in 18th century standard French as 'le roi, c'est moi' being
as 'le rwe, se mwe'... exactly as it is still the case in Quebec. So,
easy to imagine it was also the case for 'droit/e' when it reached the
shores of the Pacific...
Some words have a very current use and it is easy to think they were the
origin of the Wawa words as 'la mule' (the common usage as for 'la
vache', when you don't need to be more precise with eg 'le mulet/le
taureau'), as well as '(en avant) marche !' (common military usage,
usually neither 'marchez !' nor 'marcher !').
Yes, I agree with JGuy, no 'coulir', 'tintin' does not match much the
French onomatopoeiae. I think 'lamedsin -- la médecine' may have a dual
Fr-Eng origin. But 'laplash' must be 'la planche', no match for 'la
place' here.

Well, that's all for now.
Regards, Yann, Tokyo

Ps : yes, this is indeed a very interesting passage in Last of the
Mohicans, even if I think we can clearly hear that the actor is
basically an English speaker.