"Mucky-shmuck"

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Feb 28 21:16:14 UTC 2002

Liland Brajant Ros' wrote:

> >Of interest to some who follow the trajectory of words not only into and
> >through, but out of pidgins and creoles, will be this case.  A fellow
> >employee of mine here, who has't spent his whole life in the Northwest,
> >nevertheless is fluent enough in our lingo to derisively refer to a certain
> >wealthy businessperson as a "big mucky-shmuck".
> >
> >-- Dave
>
> Any other attestations out there of either demonstratively Yiddish influence
> on the Wawa and/or (as in this case) English coinages melding CJ and the
> Mame Loshn (i.e. Yiddish)?

There's certainly a historic presence of Yiddish-speakers in the old
Northwest; as with Scots, "Dutchman" and others, this accounts for the
efforts in the printed lexicons to represent gutturals, etc. (e.g.
weght, kahta), since those languages/dialects are thick with them.

  Maybe I'll do up a page on chinUk wawa in
> yidish, along the lines of my Yiddish geoduck page.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/lingvoj/jida/zaytlekh/goykatshke.html

I didn't know that clams were even kosher....or can you get blessings
for your geoducks nowadays?

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)