Ojibway & Cree

Lisa M Peppan lisapeppan at JUNO.COM
Tue Jan 1 22:25:16 UTC 2002

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 George Lang <george.lang at UALBERTA.CA> writes:

> One thing I find puzzling about the purported Ojibway
> origin of _tutush_ was that circa 1790 Meares used
> the word, presumably in its guise as "breast", for
> Tatoosh Island off Cape Flattery.  I think we all suppose
> that the Ojibway and Cree came in through the continental
> fur trade   One of those little mysteries....

I dunno.

I think that saying Ojibway and Cree came in through the fur trade is
about as close to the truth as we're going to get without time travel,
because:

A few did come West with the fur trade through employment of the Hudson's
Bay Company/the North West Company/the American Fur Company.  There was
an Abenaki/Abenaquois man who was living -- with family -- in what is now
southwest Washington state in 1827, Pierre Charles dit Langlois, fomerly
of Sorel Québec.

And in November of 1824, an expedition was sent out from Fort Vancouver
on the Columbia River "to explore the shore line of Puget Sound and the
waters of the Fraser River.  The party was comprised of McMillan, three
clerks and an interpreter, 36 men and an Iroquois Freehunter and his
slave."  Why an Iroquois Freehunter?  Because "he was acquainted with the
coast line for part of the way."

Just my two cents worth...  :)

...  <-- and a few grains of salt.

Lisa Peppan
Edmonds, WA  USA
Family Genealogy http://lisapeppan.tripod.com/index.html
Children of Fort Langley
http://lisapeppan.tripod.com/FtLangleyChildren.html
AIM: lpeppan     ICQ#: 4894690     Yahoo: lisapeppan