Klahowya kopa Korea!

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Sun Jan 6 19:52:00 UTC 2002

Hi.  Here is another "postcard" from our friend Joseph, who is now
posted to Korea.  If anyone would like to correspond with him let me
know.

On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 13:22:45 , "joseph nichter" wrote:

>Jeff,
>   I don't know if you remember me or not. my name is Joseph, and iIwrote to
>you a few years ago from Egypt. Well, now I'm in Korea. I'll be here for a
>year. Anyway, I started taking an interest in refreshing my siwash wawa. I
>just read on the site that there a group meeting in Oregon city. That's
>great! When I'm not over seas I live in Cornelius.
>   Do you know if Duane or anyone else is ganna do something like "Moola
>John" again? I've got a few stories up my sleeve I'd like to do something
>with. If you know anyone with an interest please let them or me know. I'm so
>bored over here.
>                                             Joseph

Hi, Joseph.  Good to hear from you.  Well, you're sure seeing a lot
more of the world in the Army than I got to in the Coast Guard.

I haven't talked to Duane lately.  I believe he still carves and
sells and shows his work, but I don't think he does big stuff like
totems and fronts of buildings or lobbies any more.  Though he is
fine, he must be approaching eighty by now.  Katie died two or three
years ago.

Jim Holton is working on his book again; it was nearly finished when
he got a new job a year or two ago and he had to put it aside for a
while.  Now he is just finishing revising it to reflect the new
alphabet and orthography and it will probably go to press sometime
this year.

Henry Zenk continues working steadily with Tony Johnson on the new
dictionary.  He might round up some work he did a dozen years back
for another project for me to add to the Web site.

I am getting the dictionaries by Gibbs, Shaw and Phillips which I
have on the Web back into Word format so they can be printed.  (I
could sure use proofreaders, in case you might like to "volunteer.")
I would like to renovate the Web site (keeping it mostly the same,
but better organized,  move it to a better server, maybe add some
more of the old Tenas Wawa back issue material).  But I have been
occupied with other projects, am returning to school this semester,
and hope to return to work sometime this year.  So that project falls
into the "someday, hopefully sometime later this year" category.

So I am not sure what we could do at the moment with some new
stories, but the various Jargon projects are still trundling along,
and something might crop up in the process which could incorporate
some new material.  I would encourage you to practice your jargon,
make notes of your story ideas, and perhaps practice reciting your
stories in Jargon using a tape recorder.

I am sure they would be delighted to see you at the Oregon City
group.  Do try to drop by one when you are home, though they meet
only once a month, and it would be hit and miss whether you could
make one while on leave.

The traffic on the Jargon mailing list is not too heavy (it averages
a message a day, though they tend to come in clumps of half a dozen
weekly when a question comes up or the topic changes).  Even though
you may have only occasional access to your hotmail account, that
volume shouldn't be too much, and you might wish to subscribe.  Dave
posts Jargon puzzles and little quizzes once or twice a month.

I hope you enjoy your tour in Korea.  Hopefully you are picking up
some of the local lingo on your travels.  The more different
languages you learn some of, the easier they get.

Keep in touch.

Regards,

Jeffrey Kopp