Weird characters (not Chinookophiles)

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 12 16:32:35 UTC 2002

Dave, if what Mike suggested *doesn't* work I'd suggest looking at your Word
settings; I don't use Word much except on the receiving end, but I know it
and also MicrosoftWorks, and probably most any MS word processing program,
have an unkind tendency to insist on “ and ” (i.e. open and close double
quotes) instead of plain ones ("), and that will royally confuse many other
programs trying to read it. If you are a registered Word user you might
contact Microsoft itself if none of this helps.

My own "Weird characters" problem remains how to get a schwa to appear on
the screen without resorting to ugly ASCII-IPA or anglicizing avoidance
techniques or, as in the following Lushootseed-sayings page from my website,
to the use of GIFs (as you can see in the second line of the title, it is
possible to use GIFs just for that one letter, but it's not *pretty*).

lilEnd (where E is schwa)

http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/lingvoj/lasxucida/sa7.html