Fw: [sovernspeakout] Inspiration Translation

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Tue Jan 15 08:31:52 UTC 2002

David Lewis wrote:

> [...]

This inquiry, like others we've seen, raises the question of how to
construct conceptual/intellectual nouns and meanings out of the Jargon's
available lexicon, as well as of literal vs. functional translation esp.
when faced with phrases that, let's face it, weren't part of the
world-view of anyone in the 19th Century other than a few romantic poets
in Europe and a rabid philosopher or two.

For "inspiration", <towagh tumtum> occurred to me ("shining
thought/feeling"); <ssaghalie tumtum> perhaps but this is one of those
crossover connotations, since "saghalie" only came to mean "holy" after
its original meaning of "high" was tradduced (sp?) by proselytizers
using the Jargon in their conversion efforts.  "Towagh tumtum" seems
viable; but "spirit of <towagh tumtum>" would seem to get awkward; the
word for "spirit" here most appropriately "tumtum"; what's that word
that shows up in LeJeune and elsewhere for "soul"? - but that doesn't
seem to fit the context here.

Any suggestions?

MC